Link

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Dinner Party Interrupted by the 1870s

The Roommie and I decided to have a dinner party on Sunday night. We were happily chopping, mixing, and stirring away, when just after I had put my Chocolate Mink Cake (A flourless chocolate pudding cake, yum!) in the electric oven, the power went out. On our entire block. This threw a wrench into our dinner plans since we still had to bake the appetizer and the main course and I was pretty sure that after only five minutes of baking the cake was still raw.

The Roommie was able to procure an alternate locale for the dinner party that had power. While we waited for someone to pick us up and drive us over there (the alternate locale is very far away for both us and any T stops), the Roommie and I were left with nothing to do, but talk to each other. Now, don't get me wrong. I like the Roommie and we talk all the time, but usually there is something to talk over like the TV or the radio or white noise. This time there was nothing except us and the candles. I got a glimpse into what life must have been like before electricity and I determined that people must have been very well rested. Once it gets dark there is nothing left to do but sleep.

Luckily, this blast into the past only lasted about 10 minutes. I don't know how much more I could have taken.