Link

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Cadillac Woman

Nostalgia knocked me on my ass today like a well placed BB in the leg of a papparazzo, when I spotted a vintage Cadillac in the parking lot next to work this afternoon. You see, back in the day, Sunday Girl used to drive around a 1978 Fleetwood Cadillac complete with eight track, sun roof, and angel hood ornament. Yeah, I was the shit.

The size of the caddy was very useful for carting around all my friends, most of whom couldn't drive. It also means that I can now maneuver anything into any parking spot. After a few months of parking really far away from everything in order to avoid hitting anything, I finally gave up and learned how to park. It's a touching story, really. Girl gets over fear of huge vehicle and learns to park. I don't know about you, but I'm tearing up.

The eight track featured various musical selections including: the Grease Soundtrack, Rolling Stones Emotional Rescue, Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, and A Night at Studio 54 (my personal favorite, it included the disco classic Push, Push in the Bush). You had to listen to eight tracks because the radio didn't work. At first it had the annoying habit of switching stations whenever you opened the door or rolled down the window, but then it just stopped working completely.

The sun roof was useful for "going convertible," which basically means rolling down all the windows and the sun roof and pretending like you are in a convertible. It was also useful for riding on the roof of the car. Not that... that ever happened... because... it didn't... um, yeah...

So, moral of the story: I miss my first car and I found myself salivating just a teeny tiny bit when I spotted the car in the parking lot. Looking back on that experience I know I could so win The 70s House.





A poor imitation of the real caddy.