Link

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

This weekend I ran into a girl that I knew from high school. Some important background info before I continue: 1) I used to be friends with this girl. We stopped being friends because we "drifted apart" (read: because I thought she was incredibly boring). No drama or anything we just hung out with other people. 2) Her family loved me. Seriously, I used to call her parents my second parents. 3) In the past couple of weeks my parents have run into her father a ridiculous amount of times and every time I talk to them on the phone they (my parents, not hers) tell me everything that is going on in Boring Girl's life.

And now back to the story. So I run into Boring Girl and as I generally do with people I run into from high school I am usually pretty enthusiastic because its fun to run into people and catch. up What was excitement for me, quickly turned into a blood curdling hatred. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey! How are you doing? I hear my parents keep running into your dad.
BG (lathargically): Oh, I hadn't heard that.
Me: Oh, well its true! So I hear you are in boring Midwest town now and working for an anonymous food company?
BG (deadpan): Yeah.
Me: That's great! And you are in charge of sausage?
BG: Yep.
Me: That's so cool! That must be a lot of fun.
BG: Yeah, I guess.
Me: Uh, well, I guess I'll get going. Happy Fourth of July.
BG: Whatever.

Immediately after this exchange I went back to my table to talk all sorts of smack about Boring Girl. Flash forward to an hour later when my sister shows up. We go to get food which requires walking by Boring Girl. BG sees my sister and gets a huge smile on her face and says "Hey! How are you doing? I'm so excited to see you!" Hate. From the very bottom of my soul, hate. Stecky never even had to endure the many hours of boredom that I did. She could have at least pretended to be excited to see me. That is the last time Boring Girl will get any fake enthusiasm from me.