Link

Thursday, June 09, 2005

"She Did It the Hard Way"

Yes, I read, although my lack of proofreading and poor grammar skills would prove otherwise. Currently I'm reading Bette Davis' autobiography "The Lonely Life." A great litte find from the Brookline Booksmith used book section. Bette Davis: fascinating actress, not so much a fascinating writer. I do enjoy her description of politics during the studio era (a film geek to the end), but she often spends much of her time name dropping and digressing. I have to say though that she does come across a pretty cool lady despite her inability to move a story along (she was married four times, I'm two thirds into the book and we're still on marriage number one). I also enjoy that most of her stories involve yelling at Jack Warner (Ha! Film geek again ). And as far as role models go, you do a lot worse than Bette Davis mister!

So Let's Review:
Enjoy: Studio Era Politics, yelling at Jack Warner, good role model
Do Not Enjoy: name dropping (seriously, some pages are just lists of names), slow storytelling (it's like she was giving writing tips the Lost screenwriters or something)

Overall: B-