Link

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Akward Laundry Room Encounter Results in Load of Static Cling

My roommate Nicki and I headed down to the laundry room last night, she to take clothes out of the dryer, me to put clothes into the washer. Nicki had just gotten out of the shower and had a towel on her head. When we got to the laundry room there were two strange guys there. Guy #1 was just some average looking guy putting stuff into the washers, Guy #2 looked like a 40 year-old bike messenger. They were talking to each other and Guy #1 turned around to look at us we came in and said "Oh, girls in towels." I wanted to point out that I was not in a towel, but I thought it best not to provoke him. Then Guy #1 received a call on his cell phone, his conversation included telling the person on the other end to "standby" and that he would be at his apartment in a just a few minutes. I have to ask, who uses the term "standby" unless it pertains to some sort of technology?

Later when I went to put my clothes in the dryer Guy #1 was there and tried to talk to me! Horror of all horrors! He asked me what the deal was with the cards (you see we have cards that we put money and we don't have to use quarters). Since I was the only one in the room I couldn't really ignore him, so I said "It's better than having to scrounge for quarters." Then he replied, "I could probably spend $30 a month on laundry." (Mind you it only costs about $3 per load washing and drying, I usually do about 6 loads a month MAX.) I couldn't stop myself so I said, "I don't know what kind of laundry you are doing." That seemed to do the trick and he stopped speaking to me. The situation was so weird and I swear he was looking at my underwear as I loaded my laundry. I hurried out of there so quickly that I forgot to put in a dryer sheet. This morning when I got to work a sniggering co-worker pointed out that there was a sock stuck to the back of my shirt. Fie on you Guy #1!